Key Stage 4 English
GCSE English Language
Students studying English Language will develop and extend their understanding in the following areas:
- Reading – students will read a wide range of texts, fluently and with a good understanding. They will also read critically, and use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve their own writing.
- Writing – students will write effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately. They will also use grammar correctly, punctuate well and spell accurately.
- Spoken Language – students will listen to and understand spoken language, and use spoken Standard English effectively.
GCSE English Literature
Students studying English Literature will develop and extend their understanding in the following areas:
- Reading – Read a wide range of classic literature fluently and with good understanding, and make connections across their reading. Read in depth critically so that they are able to discuss and explain understanding and ideas.
- Writing – write accurately, effectively and analytically about their reading, using Standard English. Acquire and use a wide range of vocabulary, including grammatical terminology and other literary and linguistic terms.